Monday, July 26, 2010

The Endocrinologist

Tomorrow, I will be visiting an endocrinologist for the first time in my life.  I am happy, yet a little nervous about this.

Prior to late December of last year, I had never heard of endocrinology, despite having problems with my thyroid for almost 10 years.  You see, I have hypothyrodism and am dependent on medication.  It runs in my family.

Dear Mom,

Thanks.

Love, 
Your Daughter


Well, for many a year I had it completely controlled.  I rarely suffered symptoms and was able to more easily loose weight (the epic battle of my life).  From September 2006 until February 2008, I lost 40 pounds--five pounds away from my goal weight.  Then, I met my husband, became deliriously happy, began drinking wine and eating good food.  I slowly started putting on weight--that is until my thyroid got out of whack.  It went nuts and I have gained back a ton of weight in a very short amount of time.  I thought I got it under control again, but this only lasted a few months.  My levels went up again.  And again.  Eventually I had to get a thyroid ultrasound and see an ENT.  Everything was normal and my levels stabilized.  But the symptoms have not gone away.  They still exist and dominate my life.  So, I'm seeing an endocrinologist.  Something is off and I'm tired of not knowing what is going on in my body.  Yes, my numbers look normal right now, but my body is screaming to take a closer look.

I am a little OCD about being prepared for things.  I have three pages of questions/documentations, plus a chart listing all of my thyroid levels since my doctor starting checking it.  I think my biggest concern is that he will tell me its all in my head.  I don't like it when people don't listen to me.  What do I do?  What do I say?  What else may this be?  And WHY CAN I LOSE NO WEIGHT, ONLY GAIN, WHILE WORKING OUT AND EATING HEALTHY?!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! I'm wondering about your results! Do you have them yet? That must be super frustrating. Losing weighty is already frustrating enough! gah.