Friday, July 23, 2010

Another Week, Another Meal, Another Smile

It seems as though all my posts revolved around food--I guess you can see what is on my mind and what I enjoy!

One full week of vegetarian month left!  It is hard to believe it has flown by so quickly.  I've enjoyed it thus far and plan to continue cooking vegetarian most nights a week.  I'm still not willing to give up meat for good, but I do think I'll be buying so little of it that I can afford the "good" (i.e. grass fed, cage free, etc etc) stuff.

16: Dinner was fried polenta, steamed butternut squash, and caramelized green peppers and red onions
17: Almond-Vanilla-Cherry Oatmeal, Lentil Soup (first time having lentils--quite tasty!), foccacia
18: Fruit smoothie; pizza out for lunch with friends, leftovers
19: Tomato Basil Soup and Salad for lunch; Mediterranean Night!  Saganaki, Falafel (woo hoo!  It worked this time), Kafta (only tried a taste as hubby made it), hummus, tzaziki with way too much garlic, cumin brown basmati rice, and pita; lime squares for dessert.
20: leftover greek for lunch; Whole Wheat Grilled Pizza with EVOO, spinach, fresh mozzarella, feta, caramelized onions,  balsamic glaze and sea salt
21: Salad at Earth Fare for lunch; Egg, Veggie, and Black Bean burritos
22: Nothing but Noodles for lunch; Rice and Black Bean Burritos (do you see a theme?) with fresh guacamole
23: leftovers for lunch and Veggie Curry from Surin for dinner.  Yum!


Fresh Hummus
An Original

2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 scant cup dried chick peas (rinsed and cooked on low heat for 8-10 hours) or 1 can chickpeas, 16 oz
1/2 cup tahini, well stirred
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil, or to taste
3 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
1/2 teaspoon Ground red pepper, to taste
1 1/2-2 teaspoons Cumin, to taste
Warm pita bread

If using dried chickpeas, rinse, cover with water, and boil on low for 6-8 hours, or until done.  Drain whatever chickpeas you are using, reserving liquid; rinse.  On a cutting board, mince and mash the garlic with the salt.

In a food processor, puree all ingredients and ½ cup chickpea liquid, scraping down the sides.  Add more olive oil and/or chickpea liquid until desired consistency is reached.

Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with pine nuts, if desired.

Serve with warm pita bread.

What are you lookin' at?!?  Eating all that food makes me sleepy!

Any brilliant ideas for the final week of July?!?  Bonus points for being seasonal-veggie filled and fragrant with spices!

I leave you for now with a beautiful sunset and a calm good-night.
Sunset over Lake Michigan (Traverse City, Michigan)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photo! We are moving to MI in a few years...that picture makes me anxious! The hummus sounds wonderful - I look forward to making it!

P.S. Cute furbaby!!

Stacey said...

Thanks! MI is beautiful...I love visiting family. The northern half, especially over by Lake Michigan is breathtaking and always enjoyable for me.

Anonymous said...

Can you believe the month is over? I agree with you 100%. We aren't willing to give up meat BUT we will be making smarter, fewer, meat purchases! I am so glad that we did veggie month!