Monday, September 6, 2010

Hummus: It's Whats for Breakfast

My mother-in-law (MIL) can cook.  Really.  She is good and I've always felt like Hubby is comparing our food (he's really spoiled; so is the dog).  I get worried sometimes, but I really shouldn't be.  She loves it when I cook.  Hubby loves it when I cook.  Brother-in-law loves it when I cook.  But hummus for breakfast caused a little bit of concern.  

We visited Hubby's family this past weekend and I ended up in charge of breakfast on Saturday morning.  Looking through the fridge, I took stock of what was available and started to formulate an idea.  I wasn't even sure how it would work (specifically the hummus and cheese).  But, I ventured forth.  MIL was really concerned and kept trying to get me to go somewhere different with thus.  She finally relented and it was amazing.  The dog agrees.  

Ham and Hummus Toast
An Original

1 onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
olive oil
salt and black pepper

4 slices dense whole wheat bread
1 tbsp butter (optional)
3 tbsp hummus
8 thin slices quality deli ham
gruyere (or other swiss cheese), shredded
8 eggs

Heat olive oil in a skillet; add onions and peppers, along with salt and black pepper.  Saute until the veggies are caramelized.

Toast bread (spread with butter, if desired), then spread with hummus and top with ham, veggies, and cheese.  Stick under a broiler until toasty and cheese is melted.

Meanwhile, fry the eggs in a skillet until desired hardness (me: hard; hubby: runny).  Place an egg on top of each slice of toast, sprinkle with a touch more cheese and salt and pepper (if desired).  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds super yummy! I'm thinking turkey instead of ham and I would LOVE IT! Woot!